Saturday, September 18, 2010

Adventure in Colorado - Pikes Peak Adventure

About 30 years ago during a trip to Colorado, which had led up Pikes Peak. At that time I'd just prefer my exploration by car. But walking one of my favorite activities is set correctly on a trip from Minnesota to California, I tried as quickly as possible. I had stopped in Colorado Springs to visit friends, see the recently moved there, and so decided to check Pikes Peak. I had the game Barr Trail parking lot shortly after the 13:00 clock, so I knew I could not get totop, but decided to see what I could get. The main thing I was looking for was somewhat higher ground hike uphill to get, after a month in Minnesota.

I took a picture of the warning sign to 114, said that early, early, and then began the path to reach a goal Barr Camp. I reached the camp safely, but it was too late to go further, then headed back. There were few traces of runners on the track and, as is a popular training coursefor them. I was also trying my new GPS, but there are too many trees, so do not get the card all the way with him. I was back down in the parking lot at 635 and had already decided to return the next day and try to start earlier.

It 'was a beautiful day here in Colorado Springs and we came to the Pikes Peak trailhead to 710 full of excitement to see how we could, Pikes Peak rises above us. My friend John went with me, but had recently for the operation of familyWork and responsibility, so he was not sure what he is able to go. We have done up to Barr Camp (10,200 feet above sea level) in just over three hours and stayed there to eat and rest a bit 'and put on shoes. There were a few inches of snow on the ground, since I was there yesterday. John felt OK and wanted to go further, we decided to go ahead. Yesterday I had a young man who tried to talk then, and said the snow was deep and hard, and do notto protect the tree line, which is three miles above the field.

We use this our goal, and sat down, executed after Neil (and the wife of the field) fresh tracks while walking on a street in front of us. Unfortunately he had going so we could not match his pace and use his footsteps. We continued past where he was around, and saw the faint traces of the young, from the previous day. At a point where we hope we were in the vicinity of 'apartment were, we saw hisTitle to go off track a bend, he explained why he failed to cover. The snow was fresh snow was not hard to walk, but there were patches of ice under the snow, which for some slippage and manufactured.

At this time the snow was 80-10 cm deep, and has become increasingly difficult, the way, especially when followed by drifts. At one point I went right, but John said he thought we should go left. I was not sure, so we left and onlycould see a few minutes to sign a track. Sure enough, it was the refuge. We have considered for some time to get out of wind and snow that fell and was eating a bit 'of food. Meanwhile, there were about 12 "of snow, and it was snowing and was very violent. My tube of ice water, so I drink Mtn. Dew tried from my pack, but it was so cold, I could only drink a bit. 'We were both rather tired and Giovanni legs were really hurting him, as he was only 15 minutes before our 02:00Shot clock time, so we went back.

We made a quick detour to the field, with a few drops each on the icy road. We checked to let them know that they were safe to eat and a bit 'further down. After getting up we went seven miles to the car, tired but happy in a very hot trip. The total of about 10 1 / 2 hours for 20 miles, including stops. We were three miles and 2,110 meters below the summit. I hope to be able to stop in here againOctober, after hiking the PCT, and will provide a further attempt to summit, O Lord, without the snow.

Tomorrow will continue to Canyon in California, I think stopping in at the Grand. I'm considering trying to walk a circle. I do not know if I can take the freeway or Highway 160 to Durango, but if the weather cooperates, I'm tending Durango. (Please send summer, no time, back-end if there were hiking the PCT).

No comments:

Post a Comment